Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black (The Folk of Air # 3)

Young Adult. High Fantasy. Enemies to Lovers. Morally Grey Characters.

Second read. 

Rating: 4.25/5

Started: 30 August
Finished: 30 August

Summary:
    Jude Duarte is in exile. Despite being High Queen, Cardan has banished her from Faerie, and so Jude can do nothing but try and adapt. Then her sister, Taryn, arrives, and begs for help: Taryn has killed her husband, and she needs Jude, who is immune to magic commands, to masquerade as Taryn and convince Cardan that Taryn is innocent. 
    Once back in Faerie, however, Jude is swept back into plotting and scheming as the war between Cardan and Madoc, her foster father, threatens to come to a head. 

Thoughts:
    This book is High Fantasy, Fae Fantasy, in a way that is dark and wicked instead of beautiful and playful, and I love it. I remember reading the Cardan Snake bit the first time and FREAKING out. Because. Jude would be better off without him. She would have control, finally. Her instability and greediness made her so much less predictable, which made that scene so amazing. But she is amazing for the whole book. She is so badass and smart and confident. Except with Cardan, because in this book, she is the dumbass of the relationship. But it's okay. 
    There were some really freaking good quotes:
  • "'It was terrifying,' he says, 'watching you fall. I mean, you're generally terrifying, but I am unused to fearing for you'  Mortals are fragile, I say. 'Not youu, he says in a way that sounds a little like a lament. 'You never break'" (212).
  • "'Oh, I don't know,' I say, 'Maybe he'd like to hear me scream.' 'I would,' Cardan says, standing. 'And perhaps one day I will.' On his way out, his hand goes to my hair. A light touch, barely there, and then gone" (222). 
  • "The problem is that as I look up into his gold-rimmed eyes and he blinks mock-innocently down at me, I can't think of a single one that will actually stop him" (238).
  • "'We have lived in our armor for so long, you and I. And now I'm not sure if either of us knows how to remove it'" (268). 
  • "Perhaps that is how I ought to handle things, but Cardan is not here to stay my hand. I do not have the luxury of time or of mercy" (295). 
    • THIS. This is the TFOA equivalent of "If my Wraith were here, she would council mercy. But thanks to you, she is not here to plead your case". 
    Yeah. 

Words:    
    Fecundity (n) the ability to produce an abundance of offspring or new growth; fertility
    Commensurate (adj) corresponding in size or degree; in proportion
    Remunerate (v) pay someone for services rendered or work done
    Louche (adj) disreputable or sordid in a rakish or appealing way
    Bacchanalia (n) the roman festival of Bacchus
    Libation (n) a drink poured out as an offering to a deity
    Limning (v) depict or describe in painting or words; suffuse or highlight something with a bright color or light
    Diaphanous (adj) light, delicate and translucent (often of a fabric)
    Infelicitous (adj) unfortunate; inappropriate
    Oubliette (n) a secret dungeon with access only through a trapdoor in its ceiling
    Lieges (n) a feudal superior or sovereign
    Overset (v) overturn; upset emotionally (dated)
    Scabrous (adj) rough and covered with, or as if with, scabs; indecent or salacious
    Askance (adv) with an attitude or look or suspicion or disapproval (uh-SKAHN-ss 
    Insouciant (adj) showing a casual lack of concern; indifferent
    Feting (v) honor or entertain someone lavishly
    Gainsay (v) deny or contradict (a fact or statement); speak against or oppose someone