Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

Mimosa by Archie Bongiovanni

Graphic Novel. Adult. Realistic Fiction. Family. Friendship. Queer Representation. 

Rating: 3.5/5

Pages: 263

Started: 2 September 2024
Finished: 2 September 2024

Summary:    
    Mimosa is a snapshot of the chaotic, emotional, beautiful, messy lives of a group of queer friends in their late 30s as they attempt to start a club night for mature queers. 

Thoughts:
    This was a cool window into a kind of queer culture I haven't experienced since being at St. Mary's, where everyone is openly queer (in terms of sexuality and gender both), and it was a very effective window. Between the way the characters were introduced (no preamble, no introductions, just a launch into their drama with other characters) and the constant comfortable use of queer vocabulary and pronouns, the book felt very much like being temporarily adopted by a queer adult friend group--and I wasn't mad about it. The immersion was cool, and I feel like I got to know the characters very well, even if I was frustrated by them. And that was my big issue with this book: I understand it's realistic, and the plot is exactly as chaotic as it's supposed to be, but there were so many bad choices without any sort of resolution, and while that made for an amazing snapshot into a handful of peoples' lives, it did not make for a very satisfying story. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in an immersion into queer experience, but not as a graphic novel for someone looking for a satisfying story.