Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

Let Me Tell You What I Mean by Joan Didion

Nonfiction. Essays. America. Culture. Women. Writing. 

Rating: 4/5

Pages: 192

Started: 1 August 2024
Finished: 2 August 2024

Summary:
    Let Me Tell You What I Mean is a collection of sharp and intelligent essays about America, writing, and womanhood. 

Thoughts: 
    I was not expecting to be as inspired by this book as I was. Normally the idea of a set of essays sounds pretty uninteresting, but Didion's writing is so verbose, so smart, and so pointedly opinionated without feeling judgmental, that I found her essays to be intensely captivating. Her way of looking at writing as using words as effectively as possible was so fascinating, and her essay on Martha Stewart and the brand she sells was insightful and thought-provoking. I will definitely keep an eye out for Didion's novels in the future, since I can only imagine how intelligent and interesting a work of fiction (or even long-form narrative non-fiction) would be in her style.