Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire # 2)

Fantasy. Adult. CW: Sexual Assault. War. Family. 

Rating: 3.5/5

Pages: 768

Started: August 1 2024
Finished: August 28 2024

Summary:
    Daenerys is a queen without a kingdom, dragging herself, her dragons, and the ragged remains of her late husband's soldiers on a journey through an unrelenting desert. Robb Stark has no choice but to march, abandoning Winterfell to his younger brothers in the hopes of defeating the Lannisters. Tyrion hates Joffrey his 13-year-old nephew and king, and his mother as well; he wants power and security, which means knowing all the secrets of the kingdom. Stannis and Renly Baratheon are both vying for the crown as well, each believing he is the rightful monarch of the land. War is descending on the Seven Kingdoms, with a guarantee of bloodshed before one king can take the reins. 

Thoughts:
    I barely managed to get through this book. I wanted to like it, I really did. And there were moments when I was very invested, especially near the beginning and the end. I loved Daenerys, and Tyrrion, and Jon Snow. I wanted to know who would become king, and loved the texture of the writing. But there were so many people and places and kingdoms and kings, and especially because of my limited mental capacity (moving back to school takes a lot of effort) I wasn't able to track all the goings-on as well as I needed to. In the middle of the book I sort of lost the lay of the land, and the rest of the reading was a slog because of it. I have loved other high fantasy I've read, so I may try to come back to these books at some point, but for now I think this series needs to be put aside--and taken on another time as a project, including the making of a reader's guide with which I can track who is who and where they are and who they are about to betray.