Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

Godly Heathens by

Young Adult. Queer Representation. Urban Fantasy. Magic. 

Rating: 3.5/5

Pages:

Started:
Finished:

Summary:
    Gem Echols, self-described non-binary demi-romantic pansexual slut, is counting down the days until they can leave their small town to go live with their best friend in NYC. Then they discover they're a reincarnation of an otherworldy god locked in a centuries-long battle with other members of their world. Aided by their godly reincarnated allies and living in fear of the otherworldly beings determined to kill them and escape back to their original world, Gem must find the Ouroborous knife and put a stop to the battle once and for all.

Thoughts:
    I was obsessed with the start of this book. The narrative voice was one of the most charming and immersive I've read in a long time. Sharp and confident and messy and queer, I was enamored. The introduction of the magical elements was a bit less compelling, but I was still interested in what was going to happen because I liked the narrator so much. But then new characters just kept being introduced, more and more of them with multiple names each, and I felt like I was reading an old Russian novel. There were too many characters only introduced with names and powers, like superheroes rather than complex people, and I got tired of trying to keep track of them all. The ending was interesting enough, and I liked Gem as a narrator enough, that I may give the sequel a go when it comes out, but I was not as impressed with this book as I wanted to be.