Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

House of Sky and Breath by Sarah J Maas (Crescent City 2)

Fantasy. Adult. Romance. Magic. Power. Rebellion. 

Re-read in preparation for the release of CC3

Rating: 4/5

Pages: 816

Started: 15 December 2023
Finished: 19 December 2023

Summary:
    Bryce Quinlan killed the Archangel Micah, saved Crescent City from the monsters of Hel, and was absolved by the Asteri themselves, permitted to return to her regular life. Yet Bryce is not off the hook--between her restraint pact with Hunt, convoluted Crescent City politics, and new information about Danika's past, her hands are full. When Bryce and her friends are thrown into contact with the rebellion, they have to choice but to respond--to save themselves, and to fight for justice against the Asteri, who have perhaps been lying about their power all along.

Thoughts:
    Though I'm a little less invested in this series than perhaps I once was, it is is still such a pleasure to read. It may not be the highest quality of fantasy, but the world and characters are rich and immersive, and I remained very engaged through my entire read. Bryce is a fun protagonist, very courageous yet also very competent, and I like reading her and exploring her relationships with other characters. The world is also fun to spend time in; the rules feel like an aged-up Percy Jackson a bit, minus the gods, which I don't mind at all. 
    I spent most of my read paying attention to how it will cross over into the other SJM universes, and there were some interesting lines about seven realms of Hel (the seven courts in the ACOTAR world?) as well as multiple kinds of Fae, some with wings and elemental power (ACOTAR?) and some with animals forms (TOG?). That's not even mentioning the end, where Bryce ends up in the ACOTAR world. I am so excited for the third book to be released, and though I'm nervous about where my loyalties are going to end up with the crossover, I cannot wait to see what connections and chaos there will end up being.