Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Dystopian. War. Young Adult. 

Rating: 4.5/5

Pages: 400

Started: 17 November 2023
Finished: 20 November 2023

Summary:
    Katniss has been rescued by the rebels and is now living in District 13, acting as the mouthpiece and pawn of the rebellion itself. Though she wants nothing more than to save the citizens of Panem, defeat President Snow, and save Peeta from the President's clutches, she can't help but feel that by joining the rebels, she's jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire. 

Thoughts:
    I liked this book less than Catching Fire, but more than I did the first time I read it. I was continuously frustrated by Haymitch no longer being a trustworthy or reliable character, even if I recognize its function as proof that revolution can be insidious and can poison relationships. I was also impressed by how well the Katniss-as-ace theory held up; I was expecting for it to fall to pieces at some point, but it didn't really. 
    I found the ways in which this book paralleled the violence in Israel and Palestine right now deeply unsettling, especially considering how popular The Hunger Games is as a series right now, including the extreme romanticization of young President Snow. It's eerie to see people playing directly into the faults that Collins so cleverly exposes in her trilogy. 
   I'm excited to talk the series through with Max, and hopefully I'll get around to reading Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes soon so I can complete my entire Hunger Games world analysis. 

Very accurate exploration of PTSD, Survival
“I realize I’m crouched down now, elbows on my thighs, my head braced between my hands. I must look on the verge of some kind of breakdown. This won’t do. Not when they’re finally weaning me off the medication.”
- combination ptsd and katniss used as pawn

“Count me in,” I say. I stand, uncommunicative and stiff, a mannequin, as my prep team dresses me, does my hair, and dabs makeup on my face. Not enough to show, only enough to take the edge off the circles under my sleepless eyes.”
- she thinks less about her beauty than about how alive she looks

“At least twenty times a session he reminds me that I’m totally safe.” I manage a smile. It’s a truly stupid thing to say, especially to a victor. As if such a state of being ever existed, anywhere, for anyone. ”


Asexual Katniss
“I’m rattled by the turn in the conversation. The implications that I could so readily dispose of Peeta, that I’m in love with Gale, that the whole thing has been an act. My cheeks begin to burn. The very notion that I’m devoting any thought to who I want presented as my lover, given our current circumstances, is demeaning. ”

“ Gale, who I have never seen cry, has tears in his eyes. To keep them from spilling over, I reach forward and press my lips against his. We taste of heat, ashes, and misery. It’s a surprising flavor for such a gentle kiss. He pulls away first and gives me a wry smile. “I knew you’d kiss me.”
        “How?” I say. Because I didn’t know myself.
        “Because I’m in pain,” he says. “That’s the only way I get your attention.” He picks up the box. “Don’t worry, Katniss. It’ll pass.” He leaves before I can answer.”

“That I knew I’d misjudged you. That you do love him. I’m not saying in what way. Maybe you don’t know yourself. But anyone paying attention could see how much you care about him,”

“Later, there’s a lot of kissing. Didn’t seem very genuine on your part. Did you like kissing me?” he asks.
        “Sometimes,” I admit. “You know people are watching us now?”

“It’s a long shot, it’s suicide maybe, but I do the only thing I can think of. I lean in and kiss Peeta full on the mouth. His whole body starts shuddering, but I keep my lips pressed to his until I have to come up for air. My hands slide up his wrists to clasp his. “Don’t let him take you from me.”

“Don’t believe it,” Gale answers. “The way she kissed you in the Quarter Quell…well, she never kissed me like that.”
        “It was just part of the show,” Peeta tells him, although there’s an edge of doubt in his voice.
        
        “No, you won her over. Gave up everything for her. Maybe that’s the only way to convince her you love her.” There’s a long pause. “I should have volunteered to take your place in the first Games. Protected her then.”
- this is kind of gross to read. katniss doesn’t see herself as an object of desire but everyone else does and it’s weird to witness

“Katniss will pick whoever she thinks she can’t survive without.”

“A chill runs through me. Am I really that cold and calculating? Gale didn’t say, “Katniss will pick whoever it will break her heart to give up,” or even “whoever she can’t live without.” Those would have implied I was motivated by a kind of passion. But my best friend predicts I will choose the person who I think I “can’t survive without.” There’s not the least indication that love, or desire, or even compatibility will sway me. I’ll just conduct an unfeeling assessment of what my potential mates can offer me.”