Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Classic.  Philosophy. Society. Art. 

Rating: 4/5

Pages: 288

Started: 10 April 2023
Finished: 28 April 2023

Summary:
    After young Dorian Gray, influenced by the immoral Lord Henry, wishes his soul into a painting so that it ages while he stays young and pure, Dorian must find a way to reconcile the vast chasm between his beauty and his morality.

Thoughts: 
    This was such a fun book to read. I did read it during a pretty rough month, so it took longer than expected, but I don't regret reading it, and I also don't regret taking the time to annotate it. There were so many interesting quotes, and so many ideas to think about. I had a lot of fun responding to the characters in the margins as I read; there was lots of sarcasm. 
    The pacing of the book was wack. I kept expecting it to even out, but it didn't. The start was very detailed, and then in the middle, thirty years passed by in a two-page list of purchases. I didn't dislike it, since I think it really highlighted the characters and gave the reader a bit of an insight into Dorian's perspective on those three years. It was just unusual. 
    The one thing that I absolutely did not appreciate was all the racism and antisemitism that kept popping up. There were literal pages of just descriptions of the single Jewish character, an ugly and greedy theater owner. Ick. 
    Despite that, I am very glad I read this book, and I am super excited to hear Amelia's presentation on Wilde and Lord Henry.

Words:
    Espial (n) an act of noticing
    Anodyne (adj) serving to alleviate pain
    Nacre (n) mother of pearl
    Misanthrope (n) a person who hates or distrusts mankind
    Inveterate (adj) confirmed in a habit
    Impecuniosity (n) having little or no money usually habitually
    Obsequious (adj) marked by or exhibiting a fawning attentiveness
    Anchorite (n) a person who lives in seclusion, usually for religious reasons
    Antinomianism (n) the philosophy of rejecting societally established morality
    Calumnies (n) misrepresentation meant to hurt another's reputation
    Bacchante (n) a follower of bacchus
    Epigram (n) a pithy saying or remark expressing an idea in a clever and amusing way
    Iniquities (n) immoral or gross behaviors