Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo (Shadow and Bone # 3)

Young Adult. Fantasy. Tzarpunk. Magic. Power. Romance. 

Re-read with the goal of recovering from the art that was S&B Netflix s2

Rating: 4/5

Pages: 480

Started: 19 March 2023
Finished: 21 March 2023

Summary:
   The Darkling has taken control of Ravka, and Alina and her friends hide underground. Exhausted by her battle and stifled by the controlling, if sheltering, care of the Apparat and his religious factions, Alina's power is gone. With the help of Mal and a few of the other Grisha who escaped from the Little Palace, Alina must escape from the Apparat, find Nikolai, locate the third amplifier, and stage an attack to take down the Darkling once and for all. 

Thoughts:
    Brilliant. I love this book with all my being. The characters are so much fun; Zoya and Genya and Nikolai especially are amazing. Genya's "I am not ruined, I am ruination"? Zoya's "I could use a good cry"? Nikolai losing control, gaining it again, "I love it when you quote me"? 
    I am also such a supporter of Mal + Alina. I know it's controversial, but Mal's self-sacrifice is really sweet, and his chemistry and shared history with Alina is comforting to read. I adore Nikolai, and I adore the Darkling, but neither of them belong with Alina. Nikolai has more in his future, and the Darkling is abusive and cruel. But the Darkling in this book is fascinating. His final conversation with Alina, "you will find no shelter but me," is literally gorgeous. The need, the desperation, his pain when he realizes Alina is no longer mortal are all stunning. 
    I will forever hate the ending of the book; power-loss trope is horrible. But after watching the possibly-power-loss-less ending of the show, I feel a little more torn. What would Alina do with her power? What kind of life could she live? 
    I can't wait to re-read King of Scars next!