Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas (Throne of Glass # 5)

Young Adult. High Fantasy. Epic. Romance. War. Magic. 

Re-read, for maybe the third time?

Rating: 5/5

Pages: 689

Started: 27 August 2022
Finished: 29 August 2022

Summary:
    Aelin Galathynius is going to return to Terrasen, take back her crown, and defeat the dark king Erawan, thus liberating all of Erilia. With her carranam Rowan by her side and her cousin and general Aedion, along with the shapeshifter Lysandra at her back, she is determined to win. But new problems arise at every turn--from antagonistic armadas to messages from demanding dead queens--and though Aelin's power is considerable, her foes have power, too. Despite her friends' love and commitment, as she learns more about the sacrifices she is fated to make, Aelin must decide just how far she is willing to go to protect her own. 
    Manon, Erawan's wingleader and heir to the Ironteeth Witches, helped Elide escape Morath, but left her in the woods to find her own way. After almost being killed by vicious beasts who were sent to find the Wyrdkey she carries, Elide is forced to join with legendary Fae warrior Lorcan for survival. What Elide does not know is that Manon has been brutally cast out of the Ironteeth Witches and, with nothing to lose, has tenuously allied with Aelin, whom Elide intends to find. 

Thoughts:
    Oh my god I forgot how good this book is. There are so many twists that surprised me, even though this is my third time reading this book. Each book in the TOG series has its own feel. This one is definitely pirate epic, and I have zero complaints. Though I miss Celaena (remorseless and murderous) I also love how queenly Aelin is in this book, and her Celaena persona comes through in her interactions with Rolfe and her old allies that she sent for. And oh my god, those allies. They're one of the best parts of this book: every time Aelin surprises her friends with some new plan or army, I get so excited. Any time Aelin does anything, I get excited, though, to be fair. She's so cool. Obviously she's stressed and afraid but she presents such a fearless face and she has so many clever plans that are a joy to see unfold. Her relationship with Rowan is also really good in this book. I remembered that they got together in this book, but the love and trust between them is freaking gorgeous. 
    This is a very exciting book. A lot of plots and plans finally come together to all make sense, which is satisfying as heck. There are lots of frustrating moments for me, since I am so loyal to Aelin--Aedion getting mad at Aelin for putting Lysandra at risk, Aedion getting mad at Aelin for not having enough allies, Aedion getting mad at Aelin for sacrificing herself . . . maybe I just need more blind loyalty from Aedion. My other issue with this book, which I have with all SJM books, is that there's no standard of power. One moment Aelin incinerates 500 beasties and is almost burned out, and then the next she's saying that maybe she should just burn the whole world. Not a lot of sense there.  But all in all, this book was incredible to read. Aelin being right and perfect and having secret plans is the best thing ever (she's my favorite character at the moment) and though I know KOA is a much tougher read than this ("get it off, get it off." ouch.) I am still excited to finish the series.