Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality by Julie Sondra Decker

Non-Fiction. Asexual Representation. LGBTQIA+.

Rating: 3.5/5

Pages: 240

Started: 2 July 2022
Finished: 3 July 2022

Summary:
    The Invisible Orientation is an exploration of the basics of asexuality, for aspec folks, aspec-questioning people, and their families. It covers lots of terminology about asexuality and aromanticism, gives numbers from surveys about the aspec community, and talks about the spectrum of asexuality and how relationships with asexual people or between asexual people can work. 

Thoughts:
    I adored the first chapter. It had so many details about what asexuality can look like for different people and gave amazing explanations about different parts of the ace spectrum. There was a huge section, though, taking about how ace people don't necessarily belong to the LGBTQIA+ movement. To be honest, I'm not sure what's happening with this issue now, but this section of the book felt super weird to me. The information for people who know asexual folks was really nice, and while it was frustrating that the "this might help if you think you're ace" section of the book didn't have any allosexual perspectives on what allosexual attraction feels like for aspec-questioning people to compare to, but other than that it was a pretty good resource. My favorite part, though, was the section for helping aspec people in coming out to friends and family. There was a suggestion for teens to tell their parents that was particularly good: "I've never found anyone attractive that way, so I'll identify as asexual unless that changes for me." I need to keep this idea in mind, I think. 

Words:
    Onus (n) something that is one's burden or responsibility