Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Cover image for Malibu Rising
 Fiction. Family. Love. Divorce. Surfing. Money. 

Rating: 3.5/5

Started: 8 April 2022
Finished: 9 April 2022

Summary: 
    The Riva sibling's haven't had it easy, but they have always had each other. Their father, the famous singer Mick Riva, has been more of a hole in their life than a presence. Their mother, a sweet and loving woman, fell into alcoholism out of missing him. But their connection, their love for surfing, and the sacrifices of the eldest, Nina, have kept them together. 
    During the events of one day--the day of the Riva's infamous summer party--Reid weaves a story of generations of suffering and sacrifice, and reminds readers than sometimes in order to create something better, what's left of the old needs to burn.

Thoughts:
    While this was less impressive than Reid's other books, it was still quite good. Like her other books, it was immersive in the way that made it hard to remember that my world also existed while I was reading, which I adore. There was just less emotion, somehow. I didn't feel pain on the character's behalves. That was a little disappointing, but I have no regrets about reading this book. It was definitely the kind of immersive reading experience I needed to get out of my little reading slump.
    One cool thing was the tiny mentions of people from her other books-- Celia St. James being gay, one of Mick Riva's marriages being annulled the next day (to Evelyn Hugo) and I think a producer from Daisy Jones and the six. That made me happy. I want to keep reading more of Reid's books; hopefully my holds on the rest of them will come in soon.