Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

The Apothecary by Maile Meloy (The Apothecary # 1)

The Apothecary (The Apothecary, #1) by Maile Meloy
Middle Reader. Realistic Fiction. Alchemy. Cold War. Historical-Based Fiction. 

Re-read for the nth time. I forgot how much I like this book. 

Rating: 4/5

Started: 6 March 2022
Finished: 7 March 2022

Summary:
    Janie Scott's parents aren't communists, they've told her. They just ... agree with some of the communists' ideas. And since the Cold War is starting, and Russia is the ultimate enemy, the US government is after them for it. So they flee to London, where there's a small apartment and two BBC screenwriting jobs waiting for them. 
    Janie liked America, and England is so ... different. She doesn't fit it. But then she meets Benjamin, a strange, courageous boy who wants to be a spy, and life starts to look up a little. Then Benjamin's father, who is an apothecary, is kidnapped by a Soviet spy, and Janie and Benjamin must use the tools of the apothecary's mysterious--and, as they learn, magical--trade in order to save him. 

Thoughts:
    This is one of the books that I would kill to read again for the first time. I remember how surprised I was by the plot, and how shocked I was at the ending, the first time I read it. But even re-reading it, it's so amazing. I think Janie's narration is one of the things that makes the book the most effective. It's not quite YA level in terms of maturity, but it also doesn't have the frustrating juvenility that Middle Reader often has. It feels older and wiser, in a cool way, but also narrates with an exciting in-the-moment feeling, which is equally fabulous. The premise is super cool--magic, alchemy, the cold war, spies--it has so many elements that are immediately interesting, and have inspired many a of daydream, I won't lie. I also really love the characters and relationships. Janie and Benjamin have this soft romantic relationship but a witty and strong personal relationship, and I love the way the two fit together, especially with the tragedy of Benjamin leaving, and them pining over each other for so long. 
    I don't know when I'm going to have time to finish the series, but I hope to do it soon, because it's a really amazing series, and it brings me a lot of joy .