Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

Solitaire by Alice Oseman

YA. Realistic Fiction. Osemanverse.

Final book in the osemanverse. 

Rating: 3.5/5 

Started: 24 September
Finished: 26 September

Summary:
    Tori just wants to get through her day, with minimum conversation. She wants to be left alone to watch films at 2 am and help her brother with his eating disorder. She doesn't know if she really has friends, at all. Then she finds a post-it note, which points her to a classroom, with a link written on the wall. It leads her to a blog: Solitaire. Soon the pranks start. The same songs on repeat playing over the loudspeakers, photoshopped images of teachers put into slideshows: harmless pranks. So though Tori's new maybe-friend Michael is desperate to find out who is behind it all, Tori couldn't care less. Then the pranks start to get dangerous, and someone points out that every single prank so far has been related to Tori. Soon, she realizes she must find who is behind the pranks and stop them, before someone gets hurt. 

Thoughts:
    This was one of my least favorite Alice Oseman books, but that isn't saying too much. Tori was my favorite character from Heartstopper, so I was really excited about getting her character. I wasn't disappointed about her character at all. She was super depressed and introverted and I kind of absolutely loved it. What I didn't love was Michael. From the first time I met him, I was creeped out. He just gave me a weird feeling, and while nothing ever happened with that feeling, I felt the whole time like I was waiting for him to do something bad. He also had absolutely zero chemistry with Tori. Like, nothing. At all. The other thing was I was disappointed about was Becky. Because she seemed so. cool. In Radio Silence. She got better by the end (that was probably the point) but still. The writing was amazing as always though, and the mistakes made can totally be excused knowing that this was Alice Oseman's first book, published when she was 17. 
    Some quotes I liked: 
  • "Nicholas Nelson, a Year 12 like me, is one of those laddish lads who actually is into all those stereotypical things like rugby and beer and swearing and all that,  but he also has the most successful combination of name and surname I have ever heard, which makes it impossible for me to dislike him."
  • "In the swirly wallpaper of my room, stooped yellow figures creep back and forth and back and forth until I'm hypnotized. In my bed someone has placed an enormous glass cage on top of me and the air is slowly stewing sour. In my dreams I'm running around in circles atop a clif, but there's a boy in a red hat catching me every time I try to jump off." This feels kind of IGYTS-y, also I think that is literally the end of the book.
    I'm going to re-read Radio Silence soon, and I'm very excited, because I've missed it. 

Words:
    Colloquially (adv) in the language of ordinary or familiar conversation; informally