Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo (Shadow and Bone # 3)


Young Adult. Fantasy. Tzarpunk. 

Nth reread. Read aloud with Rachel.

Rating: 4.5/5

Started: 18 August
Finished: 30 August

Summary:
    The Darkling sits on the Ravkan throne, Nikolai is missing and maybe even dead, and Alina and Mal are trapped underground by the Apparat. Alina can't find her power. They have no plan, no way out. Alina may be a saint, but she is more of a symbol of hope than a weapon. And still, she craves the third amplifier.
    Alina must gather the few remaining Grisha still loyal to her, escape, and find a way to kill the Darkling and take back Ravka. But the Darkling and his nichevo'ya are hunting her, and so every choice she makes might put people she cares about in danger.
    "What is infinite? The universe and the greed of men." 

Thoughts:
    The ending of this book breaks me every. single. time. Even though I was in the room with Rachel, reading with her, I maybe kind of almost started crying. Maybe it's just me projecting my wishes onto books, but that is honestly one of the most hardest endings I've ever read. 
    The rest of the book is so good. It's definitely my favorite of the three. The found family bonding is so good, especially the scene where the girls try on clothes. Zoya is utterly incredible. Its so visual and vibrant. Every scene has such a magnetic feel of place: it's incredible. 
    Also, the darklina astral projection scenes are everything: "I will strip away all that you know, all that you love, until there is no shelter but mine." Like. What the hell am I supposed to do with something like that?!
    I am not pro-darklina. The darkling is objectively evil. But god, those conversations are freaking amazing. 
    Also, "I am not ruined. I am ruination" is so badass. Go Genya. 
    This book is so good. It is so so good. I wasn't expecting it to, but it is giving a crazy sort of book hangover. I kind of don't know what to do. But it is incredible.