Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart

Young Adult. Murder. Identity Theft. Reverse Timeline. Unreliable Narrator.

Read because We Were Liars was insane. 

Rated: 3/5

Started: 14 August
Finished: 16 August

Summary: 
    Jule is on the run. She has money and skill, but her past continues to hunt her. 
    Each chapter of her story is a scene from the past, slowly unraveling who she is, where she is, and what, exactly, she did to get there.
  
Thoughts: 
    I honestly don't know what to make of this book. I gave it three whole starts because it was arresting, but I still can't decide if it was good. For the first half of the book, I didn't realize the time progression was directly backwards so I was confused as all heck, but once I figured it out, it was cool to piece everything together. The main character was probably a psychopath, rather than just morally grey, but she was black widow-esque at the start which was cool enough for me. I kept feeling like I wanted to annotate the book because there were all these hints and connections and character analyses, but it wasn't quite good enough to rant about to someone. It was a confusing book, but I'd very much reccomend it to get over a book hangover or a reading slump. It wasn't meant to be art so much as thrill, and cliche at it is, it really did feel like an edge-of-your-seat read. 

Words:
    Gamine (adj) (of a woman) attractively boyish
    Hegemony (n) leadership or dominance, especially by one nation over another (huh-GEH- muh-nee)
    Effete (adj) having lost character, vitality, or strength