Inside Scientology by Janet Reitman

The Girls I've Been by Tess Sharpe

Young Adult. Realistic Fiction. Heist.

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Started: 15 June 
Finished: 16 June

Summary:
    Nora, the escaped daughter of a con artist, her girlfriend, and her ex-boyfriend-turned-best-friend are taken hostage during a bank robbery gone wrong. Nora needs to use everything she has learned through being a part of her mom's cons to get her friends out safely, while also coming to terms with the secrecy and violence of her past. 

Thoughts
    The idea of this book was brilliant. Nora's backstories, the dual timelines, the creative formatting, the cons and names and excitement all were so good. But something about the writing of the book just felt a little off. I was interested but not invested in any of the characters or their relationships. I didn't feel glee at their successes or nervousness when it seemed they were about to fail. I was simply an observer: watching their story without really feeling it. In the end, I was simply disappointed that I didn't care. I don't regret reading this book; It was interesting and a fun, quick read. However, I would not recommend this to anyone who is not a quick reader, since the book is not really worth a big time commitment. 

New Words:
    Serpentine (verb): move or lie in a winding path or line